[Chicago] [ANN] ChiPy *special* Monthly Meeting: Python Open Data Summit

Brian Ray brianhray at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 15:30:01 CEST 2012

Chicago Python User Group
=========================

Special Event: "Python Open Data Summit"

Open you Python Interpreter; open your data; and open your minds --
this month's meeting is a convergence of all these things. Held at our
sizable new venue 1871, we have plenty of room / food / drink for all
of you and your friends. Friends of Python; Fans of Big Data;
Observers of the Open Government Data Initiative, you will not want to
miss this one. This will be our best meeting ever.

** Feel Free to Redistribute this information to anyone interested in
Open Government Data in Chicago land area **

RSVP at http://chipy.org/  (please note you can also RSVP on
OpenGovChicago meetup.com currently has 54, Chipy has 50 as of 8am
Tuesday)

Quick Links:
YES http://chipy.org/meetings/rsvp/49/yes
MAYBE http://chipy.org/meetings/rsvp/49/maybe

When
----

Thursday June 14th, 2012 at 7PM

Where
-----

"1871"
The Merchandise Mart
222 W. Merchandise Mart Plaza
12th Floor
Chicago, IL, 60654

Directions to The Mart:
http://www.mmart.com/merchmart/index.cfm/plan-your-visit/directions/

Directions once you're in the building:
Walk to any center bank of elevators, take to the 12 floor. Walk to
West end of the building.

Topics
---------------

Open Government Data Movement (:30 Thirty Minutes)
By: Paul Baker
The history and goals of the open government data movement nationally
and in Chicago, previous commercial uses of open data, such as weather
data, and a couple of contemporary examples of how cities and
independent groups are using open data.

Big Data De-Duping (:45 Forty-Five Minutes)
By: Forest Gregg, Derek Eder
Derek Eder of Webitects and Forest Gregg, a Ph.D. student of sociology
at the U of C, will describe the Python library they are developing to
deduplicate tabular data, quickly, accurately, and at a large scale.
The library facilitates the matching of related records in different
data sets, using a machine learning approach. They expect to have a
demo to show and will explain how they expect that the library will be
used.
Python powered search

Python Powered Search Engine
By: Japhy Bartlett (:20 Twenty Minutes)
Explore the indexing / stemming / scoring libraries used to built a
highly concise search engine along with redis and tornado.

About ChiPy
-----------

ChiPy is a group of Chicago Python Programmers. Participants range
from absolute beginners to seasoned veterans. In short, *everyone* is
welcome (including you)! Every second Thursday of the month ChiPy
members gather to give talks on a wide variety of topics related to
Python and related technology. Our community benefits from a variety
of participants, so we would love it if you would make yourself a
participant!

ChiPy website: http://chipy.org
ChiPy Announcement *ONLY* Mailing List:
Python website: http://python.org