[Chicago] Getting Pinax to send mail

Jonathan Hayward christos.jonathan.hayward at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 04:49:00 CEST 2012

I'm trying to get my Pinax project to send mail by connecting to 10.0.0.1
port 25 (I have hand-tested that I can send emails this way.)

I have in my settings.py:

DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL = 'Orthodox Network <christos at pobox.com>'
EMAIL_BACKEND = 'django.core.mail.backends.smtp.EmailBackend'
EMAIL_HOST = '10.0.0.1'
EMAIL_HOST_USER = 'christos at pobox.com'
EMAIL_HOST_PASSWORD = ''
EMAIL_PORT = 25
EMAIL_USE_TLS = False
EMAIL_SUBJECT_PREFIX = '[Orthodox Network]'

The email backend is quoted from web snippets, but I think my 0.7 project
is out of sync with the EMAIL_BACKEND.

I can successfully import 'django.core.mail' from the virtualenv/python
manage.py shell, but I cannot import 'django.core.mail.backends', and a dir
on the imported module does not make it obvious where the EmailBackend
would have been moved to. I found a snippet at
http://djangosnippets.org/snippets/1864/ that looked promising--until I
looked at the imports and saw that it imports a submodule of
django.core.mail.backends.

Any suggestions on how I can make a python manage.py send_mail shoot over
the messages to the server?

The following, from virtualenv/python manage.py shell, successfully sent me
a test message:

>>> from django.core.mail import send_mail
>>> send_mail('Subject here', 'Here is the message.',
... 'jonathan.hayward at pobox.com', ['christos at pobox.com'], fail_silently =
False)
1

And a password reset with an EMAIL_BACKEND of 'django.core.mail.send_mail'
/ 'django.core.mail' didn't leave anything in my inbox.

What should I do?

--
[image: Christos Jonathan Hayward] <http://jonathanscorner.com/>
Christos Jonathan Hayward, an Orthodox Christian author.

*Amazon <http://amazon.com/author/cjshayward>* • Author
Bio<http://jonathanscorner.com/author/>
 • *Email <christos.jonathan.hayward at gmail.com>* •
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/christos.jonathan.hayward>
 • Google Plus <http://jonathanscorner.com/plus> •
*Kindle<http://stornge.com/amazon>
* • LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanhayward> • Orthodox
Network<http://orthodox-network.com/>
 (Profile <http://orthodox-network.com/profiles/profile/cjshayward/>) •
Twitter <http://twitter.com/JonathansCorner> • *Web<http://jonathanscorner.com/>
* • What's New? <http://jonathanscorner.com/>
I invite you to visit my "theology, literature, and other creative works"
site. *See one page of my website! <http://random.jonathanscorner.com/>*