[Chicago] Threads vs async

Adam "Cezar" Jenkins emperorcezar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 18:08:41 CET 2012

JS catches on easily in web development because it's already a common
denominator among web developers. We all should know html/js so in a way it
simplified the number of languages you need to use.

My problem with it is that it sides wrongly. You have three "languages" or
domains of knowledge going on. Html, JS, and Python. You drop one and go
with JS for the server side. I think you've dropped the best one of the
bunch.

Google is doing some work to make the client programming model better, with
Dart and what not. I hope they succeed. At the very least I would like to
see JS become the byte code of browser side programming so I can code in
whatever and compile it down. I know there is some work and even success in
that area, but I know it's not common place yet.