[Chicago] Randomo vs. Quorum vs. Perl (how would Python do?)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 17:39:06 CET 2012

> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Mike Stringer
> <mike.stringer at datascopeanalytics.com> wrote:
>>
>> Many of you may find this article interesting: http://bit.ly/A2yqJA. It is
>> summarizing an article by researchers from Southern Illinois University.
>> They empirically study how easy it is for novices to learn programming
>> languages, and they show that novice Perl users were unable to write
>> programs more accurately than those using a language designed by chance.
>>
>> I wonder how Python would fare?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mike

Taking complete novices and saying Perl and random garbage
are equally hard to use isn't saying much.

Put me in the cockpit of a 747 (Perl) and tell me to fly it somewhere.

Now put me in a car from the junkyard (Randomo).  We get about as far.

Now but me on a tricycle (Quorum).

Wow, we get somewhere.  Ergo a tricycle is better designed than
a 747?

I think the logic of the Quorum designers is weak but as a
publicity stunt, the study holds some water.

kirby