[Chicago] A sad day for our community. John Hunter: 1968-2012.

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Aug 30 19:46:51 CEST 2012

> In one of John's first presentations to ChiPy, he showed us how he
> was using Python and matplotlib to map brainwaves. He showed us a slide of
> an open human skull, with electrodes connected directly to a subject's
> brain.

I had the pleasure of working around John here at TradeLink since
2005.  (I hesitate to say "work with" because we were never in exactly
the same group.)  When he interviewed for a job, he gave a seminar
about his work at U of C.  I don't remember any of the other details
other than the fact that he had written matplotlib to do the 2D/3D
plotting, and that picture of the experimental setup with the open
skull covered with electrodes. :-)

Oddly enough, I'm not a huge matplotlib user, but I do have a simple
matplotlib program I use all the time.  It takes a CSV file as input
and plots a user-defined pair of fields, nothing too exciting.  I
front end it with a number of different data manipulation scripts.
Together, they form my main "data visualization" pipeline.

Perhaps we should collect a bunch of generally useful matplotlib
scripts/applications and create a single page to reference them on
chipy.org as a little online testimonial to John's affect on our
Python lives.

Skip