[Chicago] Learning Python for Non-Programmers

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Tue Aug 14 22:27:02 CEST 2012

Oh neat! Funny, I tweeted your request and gvwilson replied, to
jokingly (or maybe not) recommend his coauthered intro to cs book (the
one I happen to have). The cool thing, though, is that he runs
software-carpentry workshops which are targeted towards teaching
scientists programming skills (along with version control and other
useful things).

Now that I know this about your friend I will ask gvwilson if he has
anything in particular to recommend, given the science bent. You might
take a look at the website, <http://software-carpentry.org/4_0/>.

What kind of science?

Also, is your friend interested in the topic of open science and in
running experiments for fun?

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Tal Liron <tal.liron at threecrickets.com> wrote:
> Good question, I guess both. This person does have a strong background in
> science, but not computer science. They are hoping to use Python for
> SCIENCE. And TRUTH.
>
> P.S. How did you know it's not for me? ;)
>

> On 08/14/2012 02:50 PM, sheila miguez wrote:
>
> Does your friend want to learn about programming or about computer science
> (or both)?
>
> I bought an intro to cs book that uses python and if I find it you can take
> a look.
>
> On Aug 14, 2012 1:59 PM, "Tal Liron" <tal.liron at threecrickets.com> wrote:
>>
>> Can someone recommend a good book for self-learning Python for someone
>> with no background in computer programming?
>>
>> I seem to remember that there's a classic one that's often recommended,
>> but I don't remember the name.
>>
>> Python! Hooray!
>>
>> -Tal

sheila