[Chicago] The Chipy network

David Rock david at graniteweb.com
Mon Oct 17 22:02:24 CEST 2011

* Martin Maney <maney at two14.net> [2011-10-15 21:25]:
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 04:06:02PM -0500, Joshua Herman wrote:
> > On Oct 15, 2011, at 3:22 PM, Eric Stein wrote:
> > > P.S. Does the lack of increment and decrement operators in Python bug
> > > anyone else?
>
> > Yea, it annoys me too...
>
> My knee-jerk was "yeah, me too", but then I stopped and tried to
> remember the last time I wanted to use any of them in Python code, and
> I couldn't.  All the examples I came up with seemed to me to be
> unpythonic - writing a loop that should be for range(something) the
> hard way or some such.  I dimly recall doing stuff like that a decade
> ago when I first started dabbling in Python, coming from a largely C
> background.  Now, well, as I say, I can think of places they could be
> used, but I get those loops by downcoding into C-in-Python.  -1.

I don't find it particularly annoying, much for similar reasons.  In the
grand scheme of things, I don't think the language is crippled without
it.

On another related discussion, though; what about the difference between
pre or post fix usage(eg, --var vs var--)?  I expect most of us have
dealt with this before, but I rarely recall seeing prefix usage.  My
experience had primarily been postfix use.  Would your views on missing
it change in this case, or not?  For me, I still don't miss it.

--
David Rock
david at graniteweb.com