[Chicago] Reading From a Directory

Rob Kapteyn robkapteyn at gmail.com
Tue May 10 20:04:10 CEST 2011

I think its rather brilliant that Guido, et al., put all of he file system functionality in the os module of the standard library.
There are lots of real-world computers that don't have any filesystem at all.
Most embedded systems just get a program loaded into memory from an external programmer and then just run.
(this also explains why sys.exit() is in an external module)

The Superboard II that Dave Beasley brought to ChiPy is another example.
Programs are loaded from tape and run.
No disk, no filesystem.
sys.exit() == power switch.

And, while I can't think of a really good example, it is my impression that Python is getting some traction in the embedded systems world.

-Rob