[Chicago] Dedicated Server Hosting Recommendations?

Mike Steder steder at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 15:24:09 CET 2011

RealNet's looks like managed hosting?  Was I missing something on
their site?  It is cool that it's located in Chicago though.

Anyway, Malcolm you looked into AWS?

A large instance with the following specs:

Large Instance

7.5 GB memory
4 EC2 Compute Units (2 virtual cores with 2 EC2 Compute Units each)
850 GB instance storage
64-bit platform
I/O Performance: High
API name: m1.large

runs about $90 a month.

Of course, I suspect you don't need a machine that beefy for just
experimenting and testing.  What are you looking to host on a box like
that?  I'm only asking because you can save quite a bit a month by
choosing a smaller machine and if you're just looking to host a simple
web app in Python you can probably get by on less.  The cool thing
about Amazon though is that you can scale up and down pretty easily
without a huge monthly commitment if that's not what you want.  For
instance, you could pay the $0.68 cents an hour to run that large
instance and experiment and test with it and just shut it down when
you aren't using it.

~Mike