[Chicago] Administrivia - please trim your replies

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Jul 27 19:26:08 CEST 2011

In my capacity as list moderator I've received complaints recently that the
"daily" digest is being sent out multiple times per day.  This is because
the accumulated messages are hitting the digest size limit.  I doubled the
digest size limit from 30k to 60k.  That didn't help.  Investigating, I
found that a big part of the problem is that people appear not to be
trimming replies when quoting other messages.  Please, when responding to
another mail message, trim the message you are quoting to include just the
bit(s) relevant to your post.

This problem can be exacerbated by top posting.  I don't want to debate the
merits of top posting and bottom posting.  I have better things to do with
my life.  However, I realize that many mail programs by default format
replies so as to encourage top posting (Outlook at Thunderbird come to
mind).  If you top post, it's easy to miss the fact that there might be
several hundred lines of quoted which you can't see because they have been
scrolled out of view in your composition window.  If you top post, it is
your responsibility to trim your post appropriately, even if you can't see
what you are quoting!

Thx,

Skip