[Chicago] Kickstarter Fund to get rid of the GIL

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 09:07:40 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Brian Curtin <brian.curtin at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2011 1:52 AM, "Brian Herman" <brianherman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Do you guys think it would be a good idea to make a kickstarter fund to
> pay David Beasley to get rid of the global interpreter lock?
>
> No.

Likewise, no.  For the simple reasons that a) I don't think Dave has a plan,
and b) I don't think anyone will ever come up with a plan that satisfies all
the necessary constraints for CPython (single threaded performance,
C-extension compatibility, true free threading, API compatibility).

However, I do know someone with a plan to kill the GIL, Armin Rigo:
http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2011/06/global-interpreter-lock-or-how-to-kill.html
and
it's very likely that he/we (the PyPy guys) will be posting some sort of
crowd-funded proposal for his work on this, since ChiPy seems to be
interested I'll try to follow up as there's more information.

Alex