[Chicago] book for review: Standard Lib

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Sun Jul 3 19:20:30 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 11:34:43AM -0500, Brian Curtin wrote:
> > Then it even simpler: Paper books are for reading.  Paper reference
> > books are just obsolete.
>
> It's a paper reference book of the best Python standard library reference
> available - PyMOTW (Python Module of the Week). Pair it up with the standard
> library API documentation and you have just about everything you'd need to
> know.

Sorry, that wasn't obvious to me, and I assumed the preceeding
repondent was right about it being a reference work.  Based on a couple
of articles I just looked at, I wouldn't call MOTW a reference at all,
at all - that's a tutorial in the original sense of a text that
introduces you to the content and ideas.  A great sort of thing if
that's what you want, but I've been there and done that and that sort
of thing makes a really lousy *reference*.  OTOH, a paper edition of
that would be a reasonable choice, as it's suitable for reading.

--
...programming is a desperate losing battle
against the unconquerable complexity of code