[Chicago] How do you get up to speed with an api?

Tathagata Dasgupta tathagatadg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 01:30:48 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Steve Schwarz <steve at agilitynerd.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Brantley Harris <deadwisdom at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I disagree.  I think the best way is to call the API developer and
>>> harass them repeatedly until they come over and teach you exactly how
>>> everything works.  Then, since they won't see it coming, bash them
>>> over the head, and chain up their unconscious body in the basement
>>> where you will keep them for months, feeding them bread and water in
>>> exchange for insight into their application.
>>>
>>> I'm just saying, that's the *best* way.

This must be the opening sketch for a thriller rendition of Monty
Python. Tilted "Code and Punishment".

But thanks @Tim Ottinger for the great ideas ... - experimental learning FTW!
Wish there was pair programming buddy finder ... it might even be
helpful to diligent book reviewers even the demographics breaks even

>> You've missed the **best** way. Always write your own APIs! Who could
>> possibly do as good a job at meeting your needs and your way of thinking??
>> I mean, really, who needs more than just the standard Python libs?  ;^)
>
> And it is way more fun to write new code.  Trying to work with old
> buggy code sucks.  writing new buggy code rocks!
>

> --
> Carl K

Cheers,
Tathagata