[Chicago] HTTP server compliance test suite

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Fri Jan 7 23:41:47 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:

>>> Remind us what this has to do with Python? In other words, how is the
>>> relevant?
>>
>> Radically easy deployment of Django/Pinax projects now, maybe other
>> Python web apps later (altho I can't speak for Carl)..
>>
>> But in his own words, from http://gitorious.org/vms/vms/blobs/master/README.txt
>>
>> What this is all about:
>>
>> I am trying to walk though a config that will apply to the most people.
>> I might  be wrong, but I have a feeling most people want:
>> 1. follow the recommendations in the Django docs, like
>> apache/mod_swgi, don't serve static files...
>> 2. install to a $20/m Linux, like Slicehost (no vendor lock in)
>> 3. install a few sites on the same box (or VM)
>> and the biggie:
>> 4. not have to do any research, keep the options to a minimum.  Like
>> "install PIL if your app needs it."  (Pinax now requires it, so I am
>> going to include PIL because I think using Pinax simplifies the
>> install.)
>>
>> I am not saying it will work for everyone, just cover the largest
>> group.  The top 100 or even 1000 sites are not the largest group.  the
>> bottom 10,000 is, and I have a feeling their requirements have quite a
>> bit in common with each other.
>>
>> I think being able to bring up a local VM that they can test the
>> production config on is an added bonus that everyone should have but
>> currently isn't even on their radar.    The path I am going adds that
>> feature at no cost.
>
> Yeah, what he said.  that I said.
>
> I will admit it isn't a strong python subject.  If there wasn't some
> interest I wouldn't be suggesting it. Did I even suggest it?  I am not
> really sure how I got here.
>
> Very python: Virtualenv, easy_install, pip
> Python by proxy: Pinax, Django,
> I think there is some interest in postgresql and apache configs.
> everyone should see how easy it is to use a VM to test in.

Oh, and som emore +0/-0:

I deploy http://us.pycon.org - which is also easy to hack on.  that
does not mean your patches will be accepted.  I have no clue what;s up
in that regard.  It just seemed like a good site code base to mess
with.

And I would be happy to give way to anyone else who wants to talk
about anything.

--
Carl K