[Chicago] Job opening: Trading Technologies - Senior Software Quality Engineer

Massimo Di Pierro mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu
Thu Apr 14 03:36:32 CEST 2011

The article seems to assume there is no social value in pricing/buying/selling risk. I disagree.

It reminds of a joke I heard some time ago about different parts of the body arguing about which one is the most important. The brain thought he would win but turns out the brain does not work without an hematic system, immune system, digestive system, etc. The financial system is the equivalent of the hematic system as it deals with allocation of resources. It can also be considered as an immune system because it in charge of dealing with risk. Even in the human body these systems occasionally fail but it is better to fix them than shut them down.

Massimo