[Chicago] Job opening: Trading Technologies - Senior Software Quality Engineer

Lance Hassan lance at roytalman.com
Wed Apr 13 23:36:36 CEST 2011

There are in fact some very successful traders that can do this. But as the saying goes "don't try this at home" I was having a similar conversation with a friend recently, a Sr. Quant Analyst. The person we were discussing could in fact take a look at a screen and make a call and was right at a significantly high percentage so that he was pretty much legendary (certainly not Cramer). There are probably some good reasons for this, experience, or just different brain hardwiring. (I was looking at John Hunter's co-authored  paper on "Projective Clustering Using Neural Networks...") But the conclusion essentially was that trades are developed based on theoretical foundations, insight and time. Dartboards are just too slow. From what we have seen the traders believing in leprechauns hiding in monitors have pretty much evolved themselves out of the gene pool.

As for working for a Trading Firm, as has already been pointed out, there are many differences and many different cultures. I know people who thrive in work environments I wouldn't be able to stand for a minute. Some places make it clear by creating an environment in the interview process which makes it clear to any candidate just what it can/will/could be like. Some places use Wunderlich tests and some use Psych profiling and some only care about Brain Bench scores...What matters in the end is what you want to be doing. Some of the most insane coding available takes place in Trading shops, but...to work in that environment can demand some cultural adaptation.