[Chicago] Job opening: Trading Technologies - Senior Software Quality Engineer

Massimo Di Pierro mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu
Wed Apr 13 17:09:21 CEST 2011

I disagree that bashing jobs in the financial industry is a good idea.

First of all the financial industry is one of the sectors where python adoption is growing (the SEC proposed the use of Python to model mortgage backed securities, JS morgan is building a new trading system in NYC in Python, Morningstar is using Disco for their cloud, etc.). It is one of biggest sectors in US and Chicago in particular (there are more financial exchanged here than in any two other cities in the world combined).

I would agree that there are problems with the financial industry (managers who invest other people's money like to take higher risk than they would if it were their own money; the government likes to bail out banks in order to keep capital flowing; there should be more regulations but the system is complex and regulators do not agree on how to regulate it; monopolies have arisen) but is it the only industry with problems? What about manufacturing (think GM)? What about agriculture (think Monsanto)?

The financial industry serves a purpose: it guarantees flow of capital (and people who work can get a loan to buy a house or open a business) and fair prices (market exchanges publish last bid/offer so that everybody knows the fair price of every security within a few percent).
As anything we humans do, it could operate better but that is true for any other human endeavor. How here has written software without bugs?

I for one would like to see more smart and competent people to work in the financial industry. The problem is that it is dominated too much by people with a business or legal background and very little technical skills. Perhaps they will help make it better and prevent (or postpone) the next market crash.

Massimo