[Chicago] biz niz list

Samir Faci samir at esamir.com
Sun Nov 14 08:49:52 CET 2010

hmm..   so I can't quiet remember that name exactly.  This was several
years ago....

but it basically was a webpage style accounting setup.  You can setup
accounts, payees, accounts receivable, payable.

All kinds of fun accounting things that are above and beyond my head..
but it did look fairly polished.

http://www.sql-ledger.org/  There we go.. my brain does function at 2
am...I knew sudo reboot would do the trick.

The demo is at:   http://abacus.sql-ledger.com/sl/login.pl

nice perk of being available from any OS... GPL license and all that.
It does have the downside of being web based.
(depending on your point of view and paranoia level ).

It might be overkill.. or it might not do anything close to what you
want to do... but It's been around for at least 5-6 years.
I remember finding it when I was still in IT, before I saw the light
and opted to become a code monkey so I can
claim ignorance about all technical OS, Networking aspects and just
write code....

Anyways.. hope this helps....   they are apps like kmymoney and gnome
equivalent but they seem fairly..... limited in what
they can do.  Probably connectivity with banks / financial
institutions would work better with Quicken but hey.. you end
up using a piece of code that's GPLed.

--
Samir
PS.  it is 2 am.. if any of that is incoherent tag me about it,

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
> I remember talk about starting a chicagoland consutant list.  I forget
> if it ever happened.  if it did, I'll repost over there.  In the mean
> time: accounting software.  like Quickbooks.
>
> Only I'll cry if I have to pay, given I spent over 15 years
> maintaining a payroll and billing system.   I used to use the billing
> system for billing, which wasn't a great fit given it was meant for
> employment agencies.  but AR is AR, so it worked good enough.  But it
> is a windows app, and I don't do windows.
>
> Isn't there an open source system?
>
> I have heard of gnu cash, but not heard good things about it.  I hear
> there is a new one that was almost ready to go a few years ago.
> anyone know what I am talking about?
>
> --
> Carl K

Samir Faci
*insert title*
fortune | cowsay -f /usr/share/cows/tux.cow