[Chicago] Upgraded FreeTDS and pymssql - now I can't connect

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Nov 10 16:18:25 CET 2010

We upgraded pymssql/FreeTDS from 0.8.0/0.64 to 1.0.2/0.83.  We are running
our client on Solaris 10 and were getting other occasional problems, so
wanted to get the later version of FreeTDS which has lots of bug fixes.

After tweaking the freetds.conf file to set tds version to 4.2 we can
connect to our MS-SQL database using the tsql command which comes with
FreeTDS.  Connects using pymssql fail though:

    >>> conn = pymssql.connect(database='DBNAME',
    ...                        host='SERVER:1433',
    ...                        user='USER',
    ...                        password='PASSWORD')
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<stdin>", line 4, in ?
      File "/opt/app/g++lib6/python-2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/
    pymssql-1.0.2-py2.4-solaris-2.10-i86pc.egg.new/pymssql.py", line 609, in connect
        raise InterfaceError, e[0]
    pymssql.InterfaceError: Connection to the database failed for an unknown reason.

I posted a message to the pymssql group last week but have received no
response, so I'm casting a somewhat broader net looking for hints.  Any
ideas?

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.smontanaro.net/