[Chicago] Template Document

Christopher Allan Webber cwebber at dustycloud.org
Tue Nov 2 20:04:35 CET 2010

There is a tool that does pretty much all you're asking for and more.
It's plaintext, it's beautiful, it's as simple or as complex as you
need.

It's called orgmode.
http://orgmode.org/
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/orgtutorial_dto.php

It's also the best thing that's happened to me in years.  Okay that's
stretching it.  Maybe it's not stretching it.

Seriously, orgmode is the fucking best.

Also, if you turn on logging, you can pull up a list of every item
you've worked on very easily from the agenda.  I use it to pull up lists
of everything I've done for the last 2 weeks for our bi-weekly progress
update at work.

It also does task and note capturing, etc, with references back to where
your task came from.

I even use it to sync our work bugtracker with my local notes.  I've
been meaning to write a blogpost on this, it's pretty simple with
org-babel.

Emacs users only, though!  Although if there weren't enough reasons
already to use emacs, orgmode itself would be a reason.  There are
several vim users on the orgmode mailing list that only use emacs for
orgmode (with viper-mode enabled of course) :O

 - cwebb