[Chicago] Template Document

Samir Faci samir at esamir.com
Tue Nov 2 19:13:57 CET 2010

Well... in my experience small companies have the issues of
questionable benefits, stability and such..and usually have a lower
level of redtape.

Larger companies tend to give you more stability, and better benefits
but have red tape up the wazoo.

--
Samir

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:51 PM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
> in some places they just want to associate blocks of work time with
> project ids. in those cases, you wouldn't need to generate any
> language, and would just maybe have some events fire off that are
> tagged with appropriate stuff.
>
> I've been annoyed at the tedium of filling out time sheet apps in
> places where I've worked... the whole process could be scripted away
> depending on the app you have to interact with. I wish ours had a nice
> api so that I wouldn't have to use any web form.
>
> sure it would be great to have a job where you didn't have to put up
> with this BS, but is there any place with more than a hundred (fifty?)
> people where you don't have to put up with it? if there is, please
> tell me where to sign up.
>
> when I am ready to move, I would like to change to a company that is
> small enough not to have this BS, but at the same time not small in
> the sense of only having boring stuff to work on.
>
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Brantley Harris <deadwisdom at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You're doing this all wrong.  No one wants to read what you're doing,
>> they want to scan a document and see that you're time and cost is
>> being held accountable.  It's superficial and ridiculous.  What you
>> need, good sir, is a bullshit generator.
>>
>> Look into Markov chains and Natural Language Generation.
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Samir Faci <samir at esamir.com> wrote:
>>> I.  Rant
>>>
>>> Okay.. so.. my work is currently driving me a bit crazy with reports...
>>>
>>> daily, weekly, monthly.... and starting to feel like I should have a
>>> staring role with Office Space (well, there is a Samir in that movie
>>> ).
>>>
>>> So.. I started a minor little pet project to encourage my laziness in
>>> not keeping track of my time.
>>>
>>> I basically setup an identi.ca server, and I tweet what I'm working
>>> on... and it generates a report saying
>>>
>>> yesterday:
>>>  * task 1
>>>  * task 2
>>>
>>> Today:
>>>  * task 1
>>>  * task 2
>>>

>>> which is all working fine.  Right now, I want to build a bit more
>>> intelligence into it, and I was looking for some suggestions.
>>>
>>> 1. Question 1
>>>
>>> I don't want to statically define what the report should look like, so
>>> I was looking for some form of already existing (ideally) or simple
>>> too that would allow a user to define a document template
>>>
>>> and have it define where certain data goes.....
>>>
>>> I could probably write a very simple one on my own.. just wondering if
>>> there was any pre-existing technology / standard that I should look
>>> at.
>>>
>>> ie:
>>>
>>> <<Date>>
>>>  *  <Task> <Delta>
>>>  * <Task>  <Delta>
>>>
>>> or...
>>> <Date>, <Project>, <Task>

> [...]

Samir Faci
*insert title*
fortune | cowsay -f /usr/share/cows/tux.cow