[Chicago] Perl Follow-up

Jonathan Hayward christos.jonathan.hayward at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 20:05:02 CET 2010

Someone said that Python *does* have a switch statement; it's the
dictionary.

One way to do translations would seem to be:

function transpose(input, translations = {'T': 'A', 'A': 'T', 'C': 'G', 'G':
C'}):
    result = []
    for character in input:
        if character in translations:
            result.append(translations[character])
        else:
            result.append(character)

But it looks like Alex Gaynor found an "It's already solved in the standard
library" approach, so I'd vote for his solution.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Clyde Forrester
<clydeforrester at gmail.com>wrote:

> I raised some issues about Perl vs. Python, and I'd like to invite some
> comment and advice.
>
> First, can anyone recommend a properly Pythonic way of doing translations?
>
> One example of such translations would be complementing DNA sequences.
> Translating T to A, A to T, C to G, and G to C.
>
> Another example would be ROT-13 encryption and decryption.
>
> Second, where does one properly look for Python resources such as
> programming examples?
>
> Third, if I forgot an important question, go ahead and answer it anyway.
>
> Finally, I left out an anecdote about regular expressions: Someone recently
> posted a Perl data-parsing problem using regular expressions. Many things
> were suggested and tried. Nothing quite worked. Finally, I suggested that
> since the data seemed to be in fixed columns, that substrings should be used
> instead of pattern matching. It seems to have worked. (Oh, but.. but.. but
> regex is so wicked cool!)
>
> c4

→ Jonathan Hayward, a Senior Web Developer who cares deeply about usability
→ www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanhayward • jonathan.hayward at pobox.com
→ Ajax, CGI, CMS, CSS, HTML, IA, JSON, JavaScript, LAMP, Linux, Perl, PHP,
Python, SQL, UI, Unix, Usability, UX, XHTML, XML
→ With a good interest in the human side of computing and making software
and websites a joy to use