[Chicago] Feb 11 meeting venue

Carl Karsten cfkarsten at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 22:32:51 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Brian Ray <bray at sent.com> wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2010, at 4:26 PM, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
>
>> I would be happy meeting at ITA again.  This month was a lot of fun, and
>> it was a comfy location.
>

> I am not opposed to repetition.  However, wouldn't you much prefer a pattern
> of some sort to prevent superfluities.  Say we return to Sully's and then
> back to ITA. Or we go to a school, then a bar, then a business meeting place
> like ITA. The variance on location and type of venue is helpful in keeping
> things interesting. It is as important to allow those with some adversity on
> type of venue to be satisfied in a regular manner. Believe it or not, I
> think it is equally important that every one does not show up all at once.
> Dare I say we have enough loyal following that that if all the regulars
> (15-20) plus all the semi-regulars (25-50) and plus all the erratics
> (75-100) show up all at once we have a colossal problem accommodate within
> the confines of the more modest venues.

Day of cloud had around 120 attendees, and didn't pack the full room.
(ChiPy used 2 of the 3 sections.)

> I agree ITA was comfy.  Although, the security guy did give me a strange
> look but that might have the cologne I was wearing.  And do we really want
> to be that close to Willis tower?
>
> Strange looks and my paranoia aside, things that are important about venues:
>
>  * Close to public transit (CTA / Metra)
>  * Have parking near by for those who drive
>  * As central to Chicago (recall that is our name) as possible. And when I
> say Central I am talking about near or in the Loop. Sully does not fit that
> and it does bother me. But they do have bartenders.
>  * We must have someone talk about Python (that also is in our name)
>  * It should be free
>  * It needs to accommodate the anticipated attendance.
>  * It needs to have some facilities
>  * There must be somewhere to project on like a screen or wall  (a projector
> also is a really good thing)

Add PA system.  Sully's has that keriokee machine thing, which kinda
works and is a pita.

When we have the bigger crourds, I think we need a PA system.

> It does not have to have Beer. It does not have to have to have food.
> However, food and beer are good sometimes.

We are allowed to bring in an ice chest full of beer and order out
food (like pizza.)   pizza, drinks and python talk == good times.

I bet if we put a hat next to the pizza and asked for $5 for a beer
and pizza we would break even.

--
Carl K