[Chicago] Feb 11 meeting venue

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Sun Jan 17 21:36:38 CET 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 4:26 PM, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:

> I would be happy meeting at ITA again.  This month was a lot of fun,
> and
> it was a comfy location.

I am not opposed to repetition.  However, wouldn't you much prefer a
pattern of some sort to prevent superfluities.  Say we return to
Sully's and then back to ITA. Or we go to a school, then a bar, then a
business meeting place like ITA. The variance on location and type of
venue is helpful in keeping things interesting. It is as important to
allow those with some adversity on type of venue to be satisfied in a
regular manner. Believe it or not, I think it is equally important
that every one does not show up all at once. Dare I say we have enough
loyal following that that if all the regulars (15-20) plus all the
semi-regulars (25-50) and plus all the erratics (75-100) show up all
at once we have a colossal problem accommodate within the confines of
the more modest venues.

I agree ITA was comfy.  Although, the security guy did give me a
strange look but that might have the cologne I was wearing.  And do we
really want to be that close to Willis tower?

Strange looks and my paranoia aside, things that are important about
venues:

  * Close to public transit (CTA / Metra)
  * Have parking near by for those who drive
  * As central to Chicago (recall that is our name) as possible. And
when I say Central I am talking about near or in the Loop. Sully does
not fit that and it does bother me. But they do have bartenders.
  * We must have someone talk about Python (that also is in our name)
  * It should be free
  * It needs to accommodate the anticipated attendance.
  * It needs to have some facilities
  * There must be somewhere to project on like a screen or wall  (a
projector also is a really good thing)

It does not have to have Beer. It does not have to have to have food.
However, food and beer are good sometimes.  I am still amazed how many
organizations are cool enough to sponsor our meetings.  This is great!

Brian Ray