[Chicago] Sanity Check

Rob Kapteyn robkapteyn at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 21:34:48 CET 2010

On Dec 3, 2010, at 1:25 PM, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:

> In more than one occasion the employer replied: "we do not want the best student. We want an average student. One that will do what he/she is told without questioning".

Yes, it is often very hard to figure out what some of these companies are looking for.
And yes -- being too good is often really bad -- often it is because a manager doesn't want someone that might end up replacing them.

I have also felt that many of my interviews have been a giant waste of time.
Sometimes, a company just can't hire anyone, until they interview X number of candidates.
I believe that one interview was just to find a reason to reject me and show that they searched and there was no American worker available for an H1B visa.

It would be nice if there was a wiki where techies could anonymously share their job search experiences.
It would help to keep some of these employers in line.
Problem is -- it would get sued constantly and would need to be offshore.
Perhaps a side business for WikiLeaks ;-)

-Rob