[Chicago] Sanity Check

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 04:43:06 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 21:17, Samir Faci <samir at esamir.com> wrote:

> It really depends on the tasks they gave you to do.  If the code is
> just some simple exercise to
> prove you coding ability, then its perfectly reasonable.

I don't think that's reasonable at all, especially for the organization that
contacted him due to his open source work. Pete stated this was post-phone
interview, and I would hope they can figure out more from a phone interview
than they can in a simple code golf idiot check anyways. If they can't,
that's a sign to me that hiring isn't their forte.

I'm all for weeding people out early, but you have to do it right. If I was
a candidate and I got some irrelevant BS I'd wonder why they couldn't come
up with something more fitting. As an interviewer, I want to give my
candidates real problems. I want to see how they'd solve something I
recently had to solve or will have to solve.

Though, usually when you get to the point where they ask you to do a
> programming task,
> its usually because they have a pending job offer they want to present to
> you.

Seems *way* early for that. He's through one phone interview and being setup
with programming tests. I'm going to guess he hasn't even been on-site yet.

Overall, I'd walk on irrelevant or poorly prepared tests.