[Chicago] What is cloud computing good for?

Jason Rexilius jason at hostedlabs.com
Mon Aug 9 20:32:49 CEST 2010

My opinion (for what its worth) is that "the cloud" as the term is used
today means "instant fork VPS", usually with a programmatic API.

There are very real issues with VPS's as the last 10 years have shown.

VMWare makes tons of money by taking enterprise boxes tha are _way_
under-utilized and consolidating them without impacting applications nd
their run-time.  The hardware consolidation saves lots of money on power
and maintenance, etc.  This virtualization model works well within the
enterprise because rarely does a companies intra-net HR timetracking
site get slashdot-ed.

EC2 and the like are great for what I term "abuse" computing and
prototyping.  Both use cases dont need compute infrastructure for long
so its a big win.

You can use EC2 to host a small website that doesn't have any serious
demands and very little risk associated with its performance or
availability.  There are two big problems you face after you get out of
the garage:

1) cost - EC2 on a cost-per-transaction over a period greater than one
month is in the range of 2x to 4x that of a dedicated server with a
decent provider.  As your traffic grows the cost disparity grows
further.  Once you hit your stride you will find that showing up on
front page of slashdot and digg are marginal impacts and you are paying
an outrageous amount of money for "scaling" demands that you wont face
anymore (your scaling gets more predictable, easier to plan for, spikes
are smaller % of regular traffic, etc.).

2) neighbors - because all the big shops know its great for abuse
computing, guess how frequently the single PCI bus on that machine
you're time-sharing with your neighbors gets saturated (CPU and memory
can get virtualized and shared nicely but storage and network all go
over same PCI bus and IO, data or network intensive tasks all share it).
  You can get really tricky with software and overcome some of the
performance and availability volatility issues but in light of the above
mentioned costs, why should you?

There is one advantage that EC2 model can _theoretically_ provide (but
you have to be really smart to design your software and systems
management routines to actually get the benefit): a small site that gets
slashdotted and digged and CNNed at the same time.  The unplanned, with
no notice at all, near-instant scaling many orders of magnitude beyond
what your normal run-time rate.  There is a clear compelling case for
having a programmatic API to a service provider that has excess capacity
on-demand for that use case.

Well, thats my $.02 anyways.. Hope that helps.