[Chicago] From PMA - Position: PYTHON Software Development

Tal Liron tal.liron at threecrickets.com
Sun Aug 8 06:09:51 CEST 2010

  Let me suggest, instead, that Java is to the JVM as C is to Unix --
the native, boring underlying language, which may you need to
occasionally "drop down to" in order to do lower, "kernel"-level work,
or for procedures where optimized performance is paramount. Otherwise,
there is a host of great languages to choose from: Python (via Jython),
Ruby (via JRuby), JavaScript (via Rhino), PHP (via Quercus) and also
terrific JVM-specific languages such as Clojure, Scala and Groovy.

In this sense, it's not that "Jython is Java done right" so much as the
JVM, successfully if awkwardly, delivers on Unix's broken promise of
"open computing." Since version 5, the JVM has served as a stable,
well-performing platform that really, truly is deployable on Unix,
Linux, Solaris, Windows, and even mobile platforms. CPython, Rubinius,
etc., might get there eventually, too, but they have a ways to go, and
they will likely have to reinvent wheels already spinning in the JVM.
(I'm particularly interested in applications of the LLVM project.) Why
wait, though, when you can deploy right now? I would say, instead, that
"the JVM is CPython done right," and this has nothing in particular to
say for or against Python or Java as languages.

-Tal