[Chicago] http://patentabsurdity.com/ released, used blender + python for animations

Christopher Allan Webber cwebber at dustycloud.org
Fri Apr 16 17:37:32 CEST 2010

Hey all,

So I gave a lightning talk on Blender and Python and said that there was
some upcoming video release that I was doing animations for that's
relevant to that, but I couldn't show it until release.

Well it has been released!  And I am pretty excited with the result!

http://patentabsurdity.com/

Most of the animations in the film are pretty basic, but there's one
particular animation (the "wargames" one) which took a lot of work and
which had so much repetition that I had to build tools for myself using
python in Blender 2.5's python api to make this possible.  I'd like to
give a talk dissecting that animation at ChiPy and the tools that I
built to create it, if people are interested.

This is the talk I *wanted* to give at the lightning talk, but couldn't
because I couldn't show off the best example I have.. the files for the
animation in this film!

 - cwebb