[Chicago] Tornado, shines good on Python?

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 19:56:21 CEST 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Brian Ray <bray at sent.com> wrote:

> Any thoughts on this...
>
>    http://www.tornadoweb.org/
>
> From http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/145214 Bret Taylor,
> Facebook's Director of Products:
>
>    """Tornado also offers much higher performance than existing Python web
> frameworks. A multiple process Tornado server on a 4 core 2.4Ghz AMD Opteron
> system managed 8213 web requests per second, while a single threaded version
> managed 3353. This compares with Django at 2223 requests per second, Web.py
> at 2066 and CherryPy at 785."""

It's pretty interesting since event based architecture performs well.
However, I believe it won't be possible to simply "drop in" 3rd party
modules because most are not written as non-blocking code.  After a
brief glance at the Tornado source it seems that they have written a
lot of custom low level components to account for this.  I assume part
of their open source initiative is to begin building their empire of
non-blocking Python libraries.  Hmm, this is pretty much what Twisted
had to do as well.  So, unfortunately, Tornado may turn into yet
another isolated silo of Python libraries.