[Chicago] debrief of your evening at PS1

John Stoner johnstoner2 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 21:17:21 CEST 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Brian Ray <bray at sent.com> wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2009, at 1:16 AM, John Stoner wrote:
>

>> I just wanted to check in here and ask folks what they thought of hosting
>> your meeting at PS1. This was the first time we've hosted an event for an
>> outside organization (if that wasn't obvious), and we'd like to learn what
>> we can from the experience. So, what did you think? What did you like/not
>> like about it? Did you feel welcome? Was there anything we could have done
>> better to support your meeting?
>>

> John:
>
> Thank you so much for hosting.  In my opinion, PS1 is a brilliant venture
> and provided an excellent detour off the beaten path.
>
> One good things about PS1 in particular was the inspirational spirit it
> brings.  Python indeed has the reputation of attracting those who love what
> they do.  Our speaker was a good example of this in how he showed spirit for
> his (bleep) (bleep) topic ;)  Generally, the space was really interesting. I
> felt a bid honored that you let us into this underground world full of
> interesting toys and ideas.
>
> On the other hand, the set backs for the this particular venue are quiet
> obvious. It is too far from the loop and generally not centralized enough.
> It could have been hard to find for some; although, "behind the big red
> door," helped.  If we had one of our larger meetings, it would have been too
> crowded.  There was not enough refreshment.
>
> Personally, as the current ad-hoc JIT organizer of ChiPy, I love taking
> detours such as this one.  It really helps cohesion of the group.  Some of
> our most loyal members made it to this meeting and a lot of new people. The
> open-space like taking session at the end really helped others to get to
> know each other a little easier than what I would expect with a bigger
> meeting packed with presentations.
>
> Thanks again for hosting.  It was really great. Probably our best meeting
> yet. However, our meeting next month (tentatively) scheduled at DePaul will
> provide tough competition.
>
> -- Brian Ray

That's about what I thought. You guys are certainly welcome to work with us
anytime. We do want to host events like this on a limited basis. It's
especially good for us to get a sense of the scale of what we can
responsibly support.

Other than Carl's video, did anyone get pictures of the event? Of course, I
neglected to take any. Carl, can you let me know when you get your video up
online? I'd like to link from our blog.

blogs:
http://www.generosity.org/stoner/
http://boogiepants.typepad.com/
'In knowledge is power; in  wisdom, humility.'