[Chicago] ChiPy Planning Time

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Sat Oct 3 17:41:40 CEST 2009

The opportunity for this month is wide open :) Venue also!

I have been playing with the idea of a Django-specific meeting.  We
seemed to do a good job at not being solely web oriented lately;
however, I also see where this would be a good topic for us.   I did
contact one of the major Django Chicago people to see if they want to
present sometime soon.

Alternative, Tornado would be a good topic. Benchmarking also.... Like
I said, at this point it is wide open.

One note on one of the goals of this group: we really need to revisit
the idea of presenting on something language specific each meeting.
It would be good if we have a 15 minute overview of any language
feature, one at a time:

   * generators
   * coroutines
   * closures
   * metaclasses
   * copy.copy
   * decorators
   * list comprehension
   * operator overloading
   * multiple inheritance
   * stings
   * types
   * static methods
   * exception handling
   * lambdas
   * keyword arguments
   * doc strings
   * reflection

... the point here is that we need not to forget the language
features.  There has always been an interest in frameworks, tools,
etc.. and that should still be the main focus; however, I recall that
some of our best meetings in the past were about the language itself.
Does anyone one to take one of these for 15-20 minutes at our next
meeting?  First come, first serve.

Oh yeah, do we want to find a venue? Any suggestions. I was almost
thinking a school might be appropriate; however, perhaps harder to
book at this late date.

Brian Ray