[Chicago] Free Essential Reference Books

Jon Sudlow jsudlow at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 21:38:43 CET 2009

Dont worry, I'm not asking you to debug a 400 line program. I am working
with packed decimal numbers. The assignment calls for 2 decimal places to
the right of precision. For instance 10.23

When you Divide Pack decimal numberes like
NUM1  DC PL4'22'
NUM2  DC PL2'3'

DP NUM1,NUM2

... In NUM1 there is 7C00003C the remainder is even 3 bytes making plenty of
room for his other friends "the 3's" (22/7=1.3333)

The problem is, when I use the divide pack command, the remainder is always
only 1 byte. It only gives one byte of precision. Is there a precision
switch or flag I need to call to get two decimal places to the right? Do I
have to set something up earlier in the program to get the precision I need.
I've tried multiplying the operands by 10 and 100 to induce the the
fractional parts into the whole quotient of the answer, did not work, I"ve
tried increasing the remainder part the operation, did not work only padded
with zeros at the beginning.

Thanks for any help you could give, if you dont know thats OK too......Why
can't python turn high level statements directly into ibm system370
assembler code? Get on it would you guido ;)
-Jon