[Chicago] Python for Teachers (more agit prop)

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sun Mar 15 01:58:54 CET 2009

kirby urner wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Allan Spale <allan2600 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The "Big Windy"... you's gotta work on da Chicago nicknames, my friend :)
>>

> Hi Allan --
>
> Yeah, made that up.  Thinking of Big Apple meets Windy City = Big Windy.
>
> "Chicago has been called the “windy” city, the term being used
> metaphorically to make out that Chicagoans were braggarts."
>
> Freeborn County Standard of Albert Lea,
> Minnesota, November 20, 1892
>
> Hey, I didn't make *that* up.  Wikipedia.
>
> But yeah, "Big Windy" might have negatory connotations, would be
> undiplomatic to dwell upon, given I'm an Ory-gO-nian
> (we say Orygun, not OreGON -- rhymes with gun, not polygon, unless you
> say polygun...)...
>
>> I am interested in learning more about your ideas with Python. I am going to
>> be enrolling in at a university to begin earning credit toward an
>> instructional systems technology certificate. Also, I am in the process of
>> building a general purpose semantic database and web services system which
>> might be of some interest to your group (i.e. user-friendly web programming
>> system) which will also be a programming sprint at PyCon (look up
>> twitterbase: http://us.pycon.org/2009/sprints/projects/twitterbase/). I will
>> also be at the conference if you have some time to talk.
>>

>> Allan
>
> Yeah let's get together, introduce yourself etc., Vern has a BOF
> organized, I think you can just drop by...
>
> You'll see from the handout that I'm blending Pythonic Math with a new
> kind of geometry per Bucky Fuller (b. July 12, 1895, d. July 1, 1983,
> grunch.net/synergetics/bio.html ) whose work will just happen to be on
> exhibit in Chicago around the same time as Pycon.
>
> I'm planning on going (Steve Holden also into it), missed this exhibit
> at Whitney in the Big Apple:

I have 2 family coming in for PyCon - they have never been to Chicago before - I
was planning on doing something like this on Sat, March 21, or maybe Monday 23.
  I live close enough to the Hyatt - I would be happy to swing by and pick you
and Steve up.  The El Blue Line is a short walk from the Hyatt,

"The MCA is located four blocks east of the Chicago Avenue rail stop on the CTA
Red Line" http://www.mcachicago.org/information/directions.php?page=dirc

so there and back is very doable.

http://us.pycon.org/2009/registration/hotel/  Hyatt.

> Just wanted to make that link for people, helps with the promo.

Thanks - I am intrigued.

Carl K