[Chicago] How did you learn Python? (was: Where Can I Find Python Training?)

James Snyder jbsnyder at fanplastic.org
Thu Mar 5 20:15:21 CET 2009

Also, if you're a fan of screencasts, ShowMeDo has quite a few python
tutorials as well:
http://showmedo.com/

I've not looked through the latest set of things they've got up there,
but it looks like they've added some learning paths that might be
useful.

This discussion makes me curious about something though...

1. How many people here started as self-taught Pythonistas vs.
learning it from some sort of course/workshop/guided instruction?
2. Regardless of how you got started, have you taken some
instruction?  Was it useful/helpful?
3. Did any of the educational institutions you went to offer any
python-related classes?

I'll answer myself, since I'm posing the questions :-)

1. I'm self-taught using a variety of sources including books (mainly
just for reference), screencasts, web tutorials, hacking / attempting
to figure out pre-existing projects and by writing my own projects.  I
think the most useful thing I've done is hacking on other projects,
since it's a great way to see lots of examples.  I think this is
especially the case for understanding how to build larger pieces of
software.
2. I haven't, unless one counts listening to talks.  I can certainly
see the value, though, having spent large amounts of time figuring out
things that might have been resolved with a simple question.
3. I've not actually seen any advertised at Northwestern, though there
may be some outside of the departments I took classes from.  I
certainly have done things like use Python instead of MATLAB if the
instructor was OK with it.

Best.

-jsnyder