[Chicago] Pycon: Python for Teachers

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 02:26:35 CET 2009

So it occurs to me rather late in the game, that what I *should* have
done, on this list in particular, is say something like:

"""
If you know any dynamite math teachers, high school level, public or
private school doesn't matter, and you think they'd benefit from
exposure to Python and, beyond Python, geek open source culture (per
OSCON, Pycon... Europython), then why not suggest they get a three
hour workshop, reimbursed as in-service, out near O'Hare, Hyatt
Regency.  No need to register for the conference, just have Pycon bill
the school for the workshop amount.  March 26, 1:20 PM -- 4:40 PM.

http://us.pycon.org/2009/tutorials/schedule/2PM3/
"""

Then I'd leave it to Chicagoans with actual relationships with
teachers, to fill in more holes (blanks), about "what is Python" and
"why FOSS" and why "just calculators sucks" and so forth, maybe enlist
younger siblings, fan out across town....

Nice fantasy eh?

In any case, I'm still working on drumming up interest, and filed this
rather exhaustively detailed update to edu-sig earlier today.

Feel free to mine it for ideas, if this topic interests you:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2009-February/009097.html
(last call, all aboard... train leaving station etc.).

Yikes, I'm supposed to be in North Portland by now, gotta run!

Kirby