[Chicago] IDEs

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Tue Jun 30 19:30:41 CEST 2009

On Jun 30, 2009, at 11:20 AM, Allan Spale wrote:

> +1 for Eclipse (desktop editing)
> +1 for Emacs (remote editing)
>
> I would be curious to know if there is a nice open source GUI
> builder for Python (regardless of widget toolkit) that is not buggy.
> Eclipse integration would be very nice.

I am not sure if you looked it wxPython at all. But it also has some
GUI builders that generate code or uses mozilla-ish xml to dynamically
build gui. I used wxWidgets for some commercial products so it really
is not buggy if you know what your doing; however, it was the C++
interface. Moving to the Python wx from there made life really easy.
If I would have gone straight to wxPython I think I would have gotten
extremely frustrated (as many do) because the API does not really read
that easily.  QT is also really nice.

Concerning IDE's

+1 Komodo
+1 VIM

I also tried Netbeans Python Beta recently which did a really good job
at some stuff; although, I unsure about how well the debugger works.
I just did not have enough time to play around with it.

Brian Ray