[Chicago] Language Comparison Lighting Talk Submissions

Garrett Smith g at rrett.us.com
Tue Jan 6 19:33:52 CET 2009

----- "Brian Ray" <bray at sent.com> wrote:
> If you are listed as presenter, you will receive a separate email
> describing the guidelines for presenting. It will include some
> questions you must answer and the time frame for your presentation.

One of topics that I think would be interesting is to point out how various language features have influenced the design -- or even the "tao" -- of software created within the applicable community.

For example, Java applications have a tendency to have high levels of OO constructs (I'll elaborate on Thursday).

Erlang applications tend to focus on areas of concurrency and fault tolerance.

PHP, decent for web apps. Perl, text processing. Etc.

The strengths of the language tend to attract developers around one or more problem types and the solutions tend to look and feel a particular way.

I think they also attract personality types. Brian, for example, has a very simple brain, which Python, a very simple language, fits nicely. I'd say the same for Pete, but he'd take it the wrong way. Brian will agree though, as he knows I share that characteristic :)