[Chicago] February Meeting

Cosmin Stejerean cosmin at offbytwo.com
Tue Feb 3 16:00:50 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Kumar McMillan <kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> > Also: I think we've reached consensus that we should have a short
> non-Python
> > presentation.  Ideally not a programming-language presentation at all.
>  We
> > just need someone to step up to be off topic.
>
> Agreed!  There was mention at the bar once about a presentation on the
> art of brewing beer.  But the general idea was just to have one
> non-Python presentation, it could be anything.
>
> Also, I think we have reached critical mass of talk proposals so
> perhaps it is time to stack them all up and put it to a vote?  As for
> number of talks, we know that each ChiPy meeting is always better than
> the last, but to risk a meeting that may be
> only-slightly-better-than-the-last I vote we keep talks to a maximum
> of 60 minutes total (two 30 min talks or the equivalent in lightning
> talks).  Unless someone convinces me that we can go 90 minutes.

The faster the presentations end the sooner we can grab some beer, but 60
minutes total sounds pretty short. Given that we only get to do this every
month and the high number of interesting topics that have been proposed I
don't see anything wrong with 1.5 or 2 hours. Does anyone else think that
having presentations from say 7 to 9 is too long?

--
Cosmin Stejerean
http://offbytwo.com