[Chicago] February Meeting

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 17:03:48 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Brian Ray <bray at sent.com> wrote:
> It's that time again...
>
> Who has something interesting to present?  A couple random thoughts:

wow, I'm a little intimidated by that list of topics.

One thing to point out is that this will be our 2nd-to-last last
meeting before PyCon -- where did the time go?!  I'd love to get some
feedback and practice for my upcoming PyCon talk, Strategies For
Testing Ajax.  It does not address the number 42 in relation to Python
but might be interesting to anyone working on Ajax websites.  It will
be about 30 min.

_

Strategies For Testing Ajax

As a web developer you are probably familiar with the paradigms of
testing simple web applications. Your test case makes a GET / POST
request, your program responds with an HTML page, and your test
verifies the HTML elements. Unfortunately, today's typical web
application is not so simple! Since modern browsers support
asynchronous JavaScript (Ajax) very well, the HTML response might
deliver program code to run on the client's web browser. The browser's
runtime environment would then interact with your server-side program
(Python, Ruby, Java, etc) and you now have a big problem: How does
your test suite cover both server-side functionality and client-side
functionality?

This talk will use a real Ajax web application (backed by Python) as
an example then offer practical strategies for creating a fast,
scalable test suite to help ensure that each release of such an app
works as intended. It goes beyond just the tools and technologies; it
examines architectural strategies -- how and when to use stubs, how to
design a testable UI, etc -- so that as your application grows in
size, your tests remain fast and effective.