[Chicago] Jan topics

Christopher Allan Webber cwebber at dustycloud.org
Mon Dec 7 04:58:11 CET 2009

To quote from:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus

  Currently the communicating applications are on one computer, or through
  unencrypted TCP/IP suitable for use behind a firewall with shared NFS
  home directories. (Help wanted with better remote transports - the
  transport mechanism is well-abstracted and extensible.)

I don't know much about it though.  I've only used it for local things.

I've actually been looking at using telepathy (an IM layer on top of
d-bus) w/ xmpp for some server messaging, actually.  I think that would
be neat.  But I don't have a use case to test it with at the
second.. not sure how well that would work.  I like the idea of XMPP for
programatic cross-server messaging in general though, so maybe sleekxmpp
alone would be sufficient if you weren't doing desktop IM things... :)

 - cwebb