[Chicago] deployment tools

Jason Abate jason at panopta.com
Wed Aug 19 18:49:21 CEST 2009

I've done a decently-sized deployment automation using Puppet
(http://reductivelabs.com/products/puppet/), which might be another tool
to consider.  It takes a descent up-front investment to get everything
setup and configured, but the payoff can be worth it if depending on how
many deployments you'll be doing, and how much the ongoing maintenance
of deployed servers will consume.  In our case, we have a network of
about 25 monitoring servers deployed across the globe, and can bring a
newly imaged server online in less than five minutes with only three
commands.  Plus updates and configuration changes are automatically
deployed to all servers without an admin having to ssh in.

The only downside I see of Puppet is that it uses Ruby :-)  I had hoped
to catch the Bcfg2 talk last week but couldn't make it.  We'll be taking
a closer look at that to see if it might be something we want to move to
in the future.

-jason

Jason Abate
Panopta | We see it all