[Chicago] software engineer job at Leapfrog Online

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 18:58:04 CEST 2009

Hey Chipynauts, Leapfrog Online is looking for another software
engineer to work on our Python powered websites.  We offer deeply
integrated marketing services to our clients which involves running ad
campaigns and creating custom web applications specialized for each
business.  As an example, you could search for "broadband Internet"
and you might land on one of our sites.  We mash up web services and
do some data munging to offer that person the Internet service she was
looking for based on geo location and other factors.  We generally get
paid only when our client acquires a customer so it's crucial that we
run the right kind of ads, that our user experiences are clever and
that the implementation is solid.

To put it in a more nerdy way: we deal with all the fun of scaling
high traffic websites (currently in Django), taming robots, funneling
massive amounts of data into our reporting pipeline (we recently
switched to AMQP for this), and coming up with QA strategies to ensure
our sites are operating and producing revenue at all times and for all
user scenarios.  We love Python, PostgreSQL, automated testing, Scrum,
and being a part of the open source community.  There is another group
of engineers who work in Rails and are pretty deep into the Chicago
Ruby community.  Some Python devs here even write Ruby code too!  And
visa versa.  Crazy, I know.  Your brain might melt.

The job isn't posted on the site yet -- http://www.leapfrogonline.com/
-- but feel free to email me a resume or ask questions off the list if
you're interested.  Also introduce yourself at the meeting Thursday if
you want to chat.  This is a fulltime position in Evanston, which is
very easy to get to from most parts of Chicago.  I commute from Uptown
and it's about 12 min on the Metra and is actually cheaper than the
CTA since their rate hikes.

Some blogs from our engineers: http://softiesonrails.com/
http://farmdev.com/  Some open source projects we work on:
http://somethingaboutorange.com/mrl/projects/nose/0.11.1/