[Chicago] weekly hangout: Oct 23, Thurs 6:30

Cosmin Stejerean cstejerean at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 04:05:17 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Martin Maney <maney at two14.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 04:45:14PM -0500, Cosmin Stejerean wrote:
>> Given my track record for attending anything in Ravenswood I'm +1 for
>> doing this closer to the loop.
>
>> On Oct 21, 2008, at 4:38 PM, Jordan Sherer wrote:
>>> I second that.

> Just wait, Carl's gonna have one in Rosemont one of these days!
>

> No, I (2) was gonna say something serious.  This ain't an
> equal-opportunity bike shed - this is Carl (and, mostly, a few others
> who keep an ear out on #chipy) getting together where it's convenient
> for them.  It's not really anything like an Official Chipy Function,
> just a few like-minded consumers of beer and hamburgers who are so
> gregarious that hey've invited all the rest of us to join them.
>
> <coughs>  No, explicit really is better than implicit.  If you want to
> get together for beer and burgers (1) in an area more to your liking,
> what you do is:
>
> 1) pick a place
> 2) pick a time
> 3) post a message
> 4) ...
> 5) profit!!!
>
> That's it.  No secret handhake is needed to join this club.  The budget
> is what you've got on you.  The dream you fulfill may be your own.
>
> Hey, reinventing the wheel is what Pythonistas *do*!  :-)

Thanks for explaining to new members how this works. Let me add that
Garret, Jordan and I usually show up at these weekly beer and burger
meetings and that discussions about the time and place are definitely
on topic. Some discussion apparently happens on IRC, personally I
don't have the attention span to participate in #chipy so I'll add my
.02 on this list. Anyone else should feel free to do the same. One or
more meetings could occur as a result and as far as I'm concerned
that's perfectly fine.

--
Cosmin Stejerean
http://www.offbytwo.com