[Chicago] encrypting 5gb files?

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 22:09:35 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Tim Gebhardt <tim at gebhardtcomputing.com> wrote:
> It would be cool to have Amazon's computer army encrypt the data...
> ...but then you're sending the data unencrypted to the cloud :).
> If it's that sensitive (which is up to Lucas to decide) then it shouldn't be
> uploaded plaintext.

I'm mostly uploading zip files to minimize storage charges. Max file
size is 5gb on s3.
You can transfer to s3 using http or https.

I didn't think about letting s3 encrypt/decrypt the data. I'll look
into that. Right now I was just thinking about me encrypting /
decrypting it.

Lucas

> -Tim Gebhardt
> tim at gebhardtcomputing.com
>
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Josh Cronemeyer <jcroneme at thoughtworks.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> So is the data already in the cloud?  Or are you encrypting and then
>> sending it up?  I don't really know much about encryption but surely you
>> could write some nifty library to break files down, encrypt the chunks and
>> vice versa.  It would be cool to leverage the potential for massive
>> parallelism in amazon's cloud to make encrypting all that data really fast.
>>
>> PEACE!
>> Josh Cronemeyer

Turbogears2 Manual
http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/TurboGears2