[Chicago] DVCS Workflows?

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Thu Nov 20 04:53:02 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 02:36:41PM -0600, Cosmin Stejerean wrote:
> That's true, and I'd like to add that one should never forget that. As much
> as I like github for the convenience it provides, git is a *decentralized*
> VCS, and I think it's hilarious when github goes down and people start
> complaining that they can't access their repos.

/me ROFL - this really happens?  Too funny.

> I've never liked the bug tracker in Google Code so I'm glad github didn't

All bug trackers suck.  Some may suck less than others, but the most
important thing is that [nearly?] all of them suck less than not having
a bug tracker at all.  Ditto some wikish thing to make it easy to post
docs in progress, links to related material, release notes...

I haven't worked with GooCode much, but it's just about good enough to
be useful... but it's all Subversion repos, right?  Subversion is my
ex-lover as VCSes go, and I'm still bitter about the issues that led to
the breakup.  <wink>  To be honest, though, until I got that "this
needs to be fixed - I need it!" feeling about parts of
django-debug-toolbar, I hadn't felt the need for a public repo like
github.

> try (and fail) to build a decent one. But I think the de-facto choice for

I don't recall having heard of either of those - more stuff to look
into...

> Also, like you said earlier, github is a silo, and I one for one feel better
> not keeping my bug tracker there.

Yeah, but a good silo makes things easier by bringing the pieces
together (and should provide a reasonably easy way to download a useful
copy of everything).

--
In software as well as in modern art,
the distinction between intentional and accidental omissions