[Chicago] Image Processing and Symbol Recognition

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Fri Nov 14 22:48:33 CET 2008

On Nov 14, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Andrew J Cronk wrote:

> Long time lurker, first time poster.
>
> I want to write a script that takes an image as an input, and
> outputs the name of the shape contained in it.
>
> >> python image_proc.py square.jpg
>     square
>
> >> python image_proc.py circle.jpg
>     circle
>
> The long term goal is to move beyond recognizing basic shapes into
> recognizing more complex binary color symbols.
>
> I have been looking into using Gamera, SciPy, and Pyro (so far
> Gamera looks the most promising).  Does anyone have insights in this
> field?

This almost reminds of of OCR--it is just shape recognition. We use
this for sorting and matching personalized mail pieces by machine. The
package we use is not available to the public, but I am sure you can
find some open source. Perhaps take a look at this project: http://code.google.com/p/pytesser/

Regards,

Brian Ray