[Chicago] AppEngine Bulk Loading

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Mon May 12 18:51:33 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Feihong Hsu <hsu.feihong at yahoo.com> wrote:
> My cookie value doesn't look like that on the dev server, but I
>  assume that's what it is when you try it on production.
>
>  Thanks for anticipating my Unicode problem there, it just so happens
>  that every single one of my entities has Unicode strings. I just
>  upgraded to version 1.0.2 of the SDK and they still haven't fixed
>  this annoying problem.

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/list?q=unicode&can=2

everyone should star these issues ;)

in the meantime, you'd have to patch bulkload_client to use the
unicode_csv_reader hack:
http://docs.python.org/lib/csv-examples.html

and then see if it works.  if you run into the same problem I was
having with  datastore_types.ToPropertyPb() then I suppose you'll have
to give up and create a wrapper that does line.encode('ascii',
'replace').  That would at least give you some data to work with in
your app.  Then you can reload it when they fix Unicode.