[Chicago] Power for 1000

Rob Kapteyn robkapteyn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 22:30:47 CET 2008

The conference in in Rosemont, just outside of Chicago.
I know a lot of conferences go to Rosemont just because there is much
less bureaucratic hassle.
My experience is that those hotels are very accommodating.

Dallas had power strips for just about everybody.
We do want to make sure that the power strips provide some overload
protection (almost all do).

I did some quick calculations (below).
We also need to make sure that the main conference room provides
enough outlets.

The MAX rating on most laptop power bricks is 45 or 65 watts.
Assuming an average power utilization of 40 watts per laptop (not all
will be charging):

          40 watts / 120 volts = 0.33 amps per laptop.

Normal outlets and power strips are rated for 15 amps before the
breaker pops:

          15 amps / 0.33 amps per laptop =  45 laptops maximum per
outlet or power strip.

For 1000, the hotel should provide at least

          1000 laptops / 45 laptops per outlet  == 23 outlets.

-Rob