[Chicago] Any Komodo users here?

Christian Long christianzlong at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 23:47:48 CET 2008

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T wrote:
> Is it the lack of a tabbed interface?  I just upgraded and am looking at it now.
> -jeff

* It's different.  Find & replace is a frequent, no-look operation for
which I have keystroke sequences in muscle memory.

* It's ugly.  I can't really justify this one, but it just doesn't look
nice to me.

* The funny tri-state check-box they use for Match Case is a
non-standard UI element.  from internet import lecture

* Having "Replace in files" as an option alongside all the others makes
me nervous.  I know they support undo, I'd just rather have it separate.

It all amounts to a big change in the way I work, like stubbing my toe
every time I go through the workshop.  I might eventually get used to
it, but for now I have work to do and I would love to have the option of
using the old dialog.

ActiveState got right back to me with an email asking for more detail on
my complaint, which I provided :)  Also, note this quote:

"""
Since all of the code for Find & Replace is available in Open Komodo
(http://www.openkomodo.com/), it should be possible to create an
extension which makes Komodo use the old dialog for find and replace
operations.
"""

So, there's hope.  I asked them if they would whip up a quick
(unofficial) plugin themselves, which I would be happy to help test and
maintain.  They're thinkin' about it.

Christian